Friday, July 2, 2010

No need for alarms when there are car horns!

Good morning, Linhai! At about 6:45 this morning, I felt silly for setting my alarm last night. As the kids learned quickly on the drive down, Chinese drivers are VERY aggressive and flash their lights & honk their horns while passing. There were several aggressive drivers out and about early and the sound has only gotten louder throughout the day.

I watched the Brazil-Netherlands World Cup game before falling asleep last night. I tried to find something to watch between breakfast (which I'll get to later) and our noon pick-up time today, but no luck. We knew that there would be an obvious language barrier, I could not find anything like the Today show- news or weather. I had no desire to watch cartoons, game shows, or Houston Rocket basketball- yes, there really IS a whole channel devoted to Yao Ming!!!

Mr. Kline & I went to breakfast this morning at 9. He was much more brave than I was. The only time I ever thought I would eat fried rice for breakfast was if I had takeout the night before & no milk for cereal in the morning! There were lots of different meats, colorful vegetables, and 3 types of porridge at breakfast. I had fried rice & 2 pieces of toast- and was mad at myself. I am by no means a picky eater, but I just could not eat beets or "breakfast bowel" this morning. Hopefully the kids had cereal of some sort at home- or at least packed granola bars!

It is already incredibly humid here. The window of my hotel room is hot to touch. It is nice to see Linhai in the daylight. It is a packed, large city surrounded by the mountains. I can see 7 cranes for new high-rise construction from my room. There is a haze hanging over the city already- it seems like the mountains create a smog like that of Los Angeles.

Tried to get Blogger to work on the hotel network the last 2 hours & still no luck. No CFHS e-mail. Or Facebook :)

It will definitely be an interesting day as we all get acclimated. Personally, I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I'm also really jealous of the kids getting to go home with such awesome families. It was such a warm welcome last night and everone was so sweet. I don't think I will EVER forget all their faces as we arrived!

I'll work on the blog & pictures more later today. Sleep well and we'll have a great day here :)

1 comment:

  1. Ah, breakfast in a Chinese diner, after a few days had me searching for a Starbucks. Found one in the Forbidden palace of all places.

    Thanks for updates Brittany.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete